at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
This recipe for chocolate chip oatmeal cookies is so heavenly and perfect! Filled with chocolate chips and chopped date pieces for an amazing caramelly taste that you’ll love. They’re perfectly chewy and delicious, you’ll be making this easy recipe again and again!
These cookies are not only delicious, but they are also gluten free, dairy free and soy free. There are options available for vegan and refined sugar free as well.
More Gluten Free and Dairy Free Recipes
If you’re interested in more gluten free and dairy free recipes, feel free to check out my recipe for The Best Granola Clusters (Vegan + Gluten Free). As well as my Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies (Vegan + Gluten Free) and my Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread (Grain Free + Dairy Free).
Oatmeal Cookies Wet Ingredients:
Eggs: You can substitute flax eggs if you want a vegan option. To prepare a flax egg, combine 1 Tablespoon of ground flax seed with 3 Tablespoons of water for each egg. Then let that sit a few minutes to become gelatinous.
Coconut oil (melted and cooled): It’s important you let it cool to room temperature so it doesn’t solidify when you add it to the other ingredients. You can replace this with avocado oil if you prefer.
Cane sugar: This sugar brings a little bit more crisp to the cookie. You can definitely use more coconut sugar in its place to make this recipe refined sugar free.
Coconut Sugar: This sugar is an unrefined sweetener very similar to brown sugar. You can substitute an organic brown sugar in its place if you’d like.
Vanilla extract: This adds a delicious vanilla flavor to these cookies. If you prefer, you can leave this ingredient out completely.
Oatmeal Cookies Dry Ingredients:
Rolled oats: I used old fashioned organic rolled oats but quick oats should also work fine in this recipe.
Blanched almond flour: I used almond flour for a grain free flour. If you prefer all-purpose flour or a gluten-free blend, then use 3/4 cup and remove the almond flour and tapioca flour in this recipe.
Tapioca flour: This starch along with the almond flour in this recipe create a good blend that works really well. I haven’t tried another starch in its place.
Baking soda: This is used as a leavening agent in this recipe.
Cinnamon and nutmeg: I added these spices to add some sweet, earthy flavor but you can change them up or leave them out if you like.
Sea salt: I love to add a little sea salt to bring out the other flavors, but or course you can leave this out.
Chocolate chips: I like to use organic semi sweet chocolate chips but you can use refined sugar free or whatever you like.
Chopped dates: Using chopped dates in these cookies adds a great caramel-like flavor that I love but you can leave this ingredient out, of course.
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies Instructions:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with unbleached parchment paper. In one mixing bowl, add eggs, coconut oil (melted and cooled), cane sugar, coconut sugar and vanilla extract. In a separate mixing bowl add rolled oats, almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt and nutmeg.
- Use a whisk to combine wet ingredients in one bowl and stir dry ingredients until well combined.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and when the dough is almost mixed all the way, add in chocolate chips and chopped dates. Then finish mixing.
- Form 12 cookies across 2 baking sheets. You can add more chocolate chips on top if you want. Now, use your palm to gently press down on the cookie dough balls the flatten slightly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges turn a golden brown color.
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (Gluten Free + Dairy Free)
Yield: 12 cookies
- 2 eggs (room temperature)(or sub flax eggs for vegan)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted and cooled to room temperature)
- 1/4 cup cane sugar (I always choose organic)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons blanched almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- a pinch nutmeg
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips (dairy free)
- 1/2 cup medijool dates (chopped into small pieces)(optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with unbleached parchment paper and set aside for later.
- In a large mixing bowl, add room temp eggs, melted and cooled coconut oil, cane sugar, coconut sugar and vanilla extract. Use a whisk to thoroughly combine ingredients.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine rolled oats, blanched almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt and nutmeg.
- Now, transfer your dry ingredients into the bowl with your wet and stir to mix the cookie dough. When it is almost fully mixed, add in chocolate chips and chopped medijool dates. Then, finish mixing while being mindful to not overmix.
- Separate and form into 12 cookie dough balls and place them evenly between 2 baking sheets with space in between each ball. Optionally, you can add even more chocolate chips and chopped dates on top of the cookies. Now, use the palm of your hand to gently press down on each cookie dough ball to flatten a little before placing them in the oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges turn a golden brown color.
Interested in More Healthy Dessert Recipes?
These oatmeal cookies are much lower in sugar than most cookie recipes. They are also gluten free and dairy free! If you’re interested in other healthy dessert recipes, check out my Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies (Vegan + Gluten Free). As well as my Paleo Orange Cranberry Cookies (Vegan + Gluten Free) and my Healthy Date Candy Bars (Vegan + Paleo).
Leave a Comment
This post is a recipe for chocolate chip oatmeal cookies which are gluten free and dairy free. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do and make it over and over. Please leave a comment if you make these cookies, I would love to hear how they turn out!