This chicken tortilla soup recipe is so easy to prepare and feels so cozy for dinner at home. This soup is made without beans or corn which are common in tortilla soup recipes and I’ve added some white rice in their place for a nice filling meal. You’ll love the yummy Mexican style spices and the fresh, light taste of this healthy dinner recipe. Enjoy this soup on its own, topped with dairy-free sour cream or some freshly sliced avocado.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
This healthy soup is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free, corn free and refined sugar free.
Want More Healthy Dinner Recipes?
If you’re interested in more healthy dinner recipes, feel free to check out my Easy Thai Curry Recipe (Vegan + Gluten Free). As well as my Dairy Free Butter Chicken Curry (Gluten Free) and Healthy Stir Fry Orange Chicken (Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
How Do I Store This Soup?
This recipe is great for meal prepping as you can make a large batch and use it throughout the week. To store, just put the soup in a tightly sealed container (I love glass ones) and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Another option, is to freeze your leftover soup for another quick dinner. To freeze, keep this soup in a tightly sealed container in the freezer for months and pull out whenever you need. Just defrost in fridge or under warm water, then reheat in a soup pot for a quick and easy meal.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients:
Oil: You can use any oil you like to sauté the onion and garlic. I recommend coconut oil, avocado oil, or olive oil.
Onion: Instead of a yellow or white onion, you could also use a leek or a couple shallots.
Garlic cloves: The garlic cloves bring a lot of flavor to this recipe so I don’t recommend leaving this ingredient out.
Spices: This blend of spices is great for Mexican tacos and burritos so, we are using these spices to bring that classic tortilla soup flavor.
Canned diced tomatoes: You can always sub fresh tomatoes and dice them yourself if you’d like. Instead, just use 2 cups freshly diced tomatoes.
Cooked and shredded chicken: I give simple and basic instructions for how to do this in the recipe below. You can also sub tofu, chick peas or any other meat replacement for a vegan option.
White jasmine rice: This rice will cook perfectly in the soup so I don’t recommend changing the type of rice, as it will change the cook time.
Chicken broth: You can also use chicken stock, bone broth or vegetable broth in its place.
Fresh cilantro: This herb has a beautiful, fresh flavor and the leaves wilt right into the soup. Of course you can leave the cilantro out if you prefer.
Lime juice: This ingredient just adds a little bit more flavor and lightens the soup, but can definitely leave it out if you prefer.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Instructions:
- To a soup pot on medium heat add oil, onion, garlic and cook until the onion turns translucent (this takes 4-5 minutes). When the onion is translucent add all the spices to your pot and allow these to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, in order to bring out the flavors.
- When your spices have been in the pot for 5 minutes, you can add in your diced tomatoes, cooked and shredded chicken, uncooked white jasmine rice.
- Add in your chicken broth (you can also use bone broth or veggie broth) and bring to a low boil. When liquid is boiling set a timer for 20 minutes and allow your soup to cook uncovered.
- After cooking uncovered for 20 minutes, your soup will become more full as the rice has grown and some of the water has cooked off. Remove pot from heat and add in chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice.
Chicken Rice Tortilla Soup Recipe (Gluten Free + Dairy Free)
- 1 Tablespoon oil (avocado, coconut, olive)
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each of paprika, onion powder, garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- a pinch cayenne or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted but regular are fine too)
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 3/4 cup uncooked white jasmine rice
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (roughly chopped)
- juice from half a lime
- If you haven’t already cooked your chicken, you’ll do that first. Place chicken breasts in a pot and fill with water (enough to cover chicken) and bring to a boil. You can check if it’s done by cutting into the middle of the biggest chicken breast and if there’s not pink color left, then remove it from heat. Take chicken out of water, place on a plate or cutting board and shred into bite size pieces using two forks.
- To a large soup pot on medium heat add oil, onion and garlic. Cook until onion becomes translucent then add in all your spices (cumin, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, celery seed, cayenne and sea salt). Stirring occasionally, let your spices toast for 5 minutes to bring out the natural flavors.
- After you’ve toasted spices, add diced tomatoes, cooked and shredded chicken, white jasmine rice and chicken broth to your pot. Bring liquid to a boil and cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes.
- Take soup off heat and add in chopped cilantro leaves and fresh lime juice.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips, fresh lime wedges, dairy-free sour cream or avocado slices.
Would You Like More Soup Recipes?
If you’re interested in more healthy soup recipes, feel free to check out my Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Candied Pumpkin Seeds. As well as my Vegan Tomato Basil Soup (Gluten Free + Dairy Free) and my Detox Beet Vegetable Soup (Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
Leave a Comment Below
This post is a recipe for Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup with rice and a Mexican inspired blend of spices. I hope you enjoyed this recipe and I’d love if you check out my other recipes. Please, leave a comment below if you make this soup! I’d love to hear how you like it and what you would like to see more of from me!