at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
These Healthy Date Candy Bars are so divine! With crunchy pretzels and a gooey, peanut butter date caramel center that’s all completely covered in chocolate. This is my healthier take on one of my favorite childhood treats, a Take 5 candy bar, but made with more whole food ingredients.
This recipe is vegan, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, gluten-free and grain free. Just make sure to use pretzels that fit your needs.
Want More Healthy Dessert Recipes?
- Add medjool dates, peanut butter and maple syrup to a food processor.
- Mix thoroughly until you achieve a smooth, gooey filling.
- Add crushed pretzels (The ones I used aren’t available online but here are some grain free pretzels)
- Then, stir to incorporate.
- Place pretzels on a tray (here are some grain free pretzels)
- Add 1 tablespoon of filling on top of each pretzel and smooth using a spoon or your hands.
- After chilling in the freezer, dunk each bar in chocolate and place on parchment paper.
- Place bars in the freezer to let chocolate completely harden before enjoying.
Healthy Date Candy Bars (Vegan + Paleo)
Yield: 20 candy bars
- 8 large soft medjool dates
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I use an all natural)
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (optional for more sweetness)
- 1/4 cup crushed pretzels (gluten-free + paleo if needed)
- 20 whole pretzels (gluten-free + paleo if needed)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (vegan + paleo if needed)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- If your dates aren’t really soft, soak in water for 10 minutes. Drain off water before adding dates to food processor.
- Add dates, peanut butter and maple syrup to a food processor and mix until and a gooey filling has formed. Then fold in crushed pretzels using a spoon or your food processor very briefly. You want there to be small chunks of pretzels in the filling.
- Lay out whole pretzels on a tray and place about 1 Tablespoon filling on top of each pretzel. Using a spoon or your hands, smooth filling over each pretzel to form a small bar shape.
- Place pretzels in the freezer to firm for 10-15 minutes while you melt your chocolate.
- Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a bowl and melt using the double broil method or in the microwave. Stir often while melting.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper (I like to use unbleached) on a tray or baking sheet.
- Dunk each bar into melted chocolate to fully coat. Then, transfer to parchment paper with the pretzel side facing down. Continue until each bar is coated in chocolate. Using a spoon, you can drizzle a bit of chocolate on top of each bar in a zig zag pattern, but this step is optional.
- Place bars in the freezer for an hour to allow chocolate to completely harden before enjoying.