at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
These Paleo Cilantro Lime Skewers are delicious, and only made with nutritious ingredients. This recipe is allergen friendly so, these are perfect for any holiday barbeque with hungry people! The marinade here is so delicious and packed with incredible fresh flavors, you’re going to love it! You can enjoy these cilantro lime chicken skewers with a salad or cauliflower rice to keep the meal paleo. I like to plate these with a side of coconut rice (here’s my recipe) and some guacamole for dipping. I hope you love these as much as my family does!
Cilantro Lime Chicken Skewers
These chicken and veggie skewers not only delicious and unbelievably flavorful! They are also paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, soy free, nut free and refined sugar free.
Interested In More Paleo Recipes?
If you’d like to see more paleo recipes, feel free to check out my Butternut Squash Sheet Pan Bake (Paleo + Nut Free). Along with my Grilled Chicken Strawberry Salad with Honey Lime Dressing and my Creamy Tomato Basil Soup (Gluten Free + Dairy Free). And finally, you may want to check out my Paleo Asian Salad with Honey Ginger Dressing (Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
These are fairly simple to make, just make sure to chop your pieces into a similar size so they cook in the same way. I’ve found that about 1.5-2 inch pieces make the most juicy skewers and keeps charring to a minimum. You can of course chop smaller pieces but if you do they tend to burn easily and so, I recommend 1.5-2 inches.
Cilantro Lime Marinade
Letting everything marinade is the secret to getting a lot of delicious flavor in these skewers. So, allowing a few hours for this process is necessary and I don’t recommend skipping this step. If you can, cut everything the day before and let all the ingredients marinade in the fridge overnight but, if not, letting the chicken and veggies marinade in the fridge for 2 hours will still allow those delicious flavors to soak in!
When grilling skewers, I’ve found that I need to use a lower heat than if I am grilling larger portions. I try to keep the heat under 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then you will keep them from getting too much char on the edges. If you don’t have a temperature gauge on your grill, then make sure to check them often.
In this recipe, I used red onion, red and green bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini and chicken, but feel free to use whatever veggies or even fruits you have on hand. I think pineapple, peaches, cauliflower, or eggplant would be great in this recipe!
When looking for skewers, it really comes down to what you prefer. Here some bamboo skewers and here are some stainless steel skewers. Bamboo and wooden skewers can only be used once, so if you love to barbeque, it may be a good idea to invest in some reusable ones that you can wash in the dishwasher.
Cilantro Lime Skewers Ingredients and Accommodations:
Honey: This is the unrefined liquid sweetener I prefer in this recipe. You can try maple syrup or agave instead of honey in the marinade but I haven’t used them.
Chicken: My protein of choice but you can try using shrimp or steak if you want. For a vegetarian option you could swap for tofu, or tempeh.
Avocado oil: I love using avocado oil when I’m cooking with high heat as it has a high smoke point. But you can use any neutral oil you prefer such as extra virgin olive oil or melted and cooled coconut oil.
Any of the veggies can be replaced with another that you have on hand. For example peaches, pineapple, eggplant, yellow squash, cauliflower, broccoli, leeks, etc.
Cilantro: fresh parsley can replace the cilantro if you prefer.
Paleo Cilantro Lime Skewers (Gluten-Free + Dairy-Free)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- juice and zest of 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast
- 2 bell peppers (I used red & green)
- 1 red onion
- 1-2 zucchini (depending on size)
- 10-12 mushrooms
- Add all marinade ingredients to a large bowl or dish and stir to combine well.
- Chop chicken breast, bell pepper, onion, zucchini and mushrooms into similar size 1.5 inch pieces then, add to the marinade.
- Place marinating ingredients in the fridge and allow chicken and veggies to marinade at least 2 hours (preferably overnight). Letting the skewer ingredients marinade is key to have the flavorful and juicy skewers that you want.
- Create skewers by stabbing each piece of food and sliding it towards one end of the stick in whatever order you like. You can use metal skewers or wooden ones to do this.
- Grill until chicken is cooked thoroughly. (If you’d like some grilling tips, refer above).
- After grilling, add to a plate with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and more chopped cilantro. I like to serve these on top of rice or salad. They’re also amazing dipped in fresh guacamole!
Want More Healthy Dinner Recipes?
If you’re interested in more healthy dinner recipes, feel free to check out my Grilled Chicken Strawberry Salad with Honey Lime Dressing. As well as my Healthy Fried Rice with Shrimp (Gluten Free + Dairy Free) and my Healthy Stir Fry Orange Chicken (Gluten Free + Dairy Free). And finally, my Teriyaki Salmon with Coconut Rice (Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
Thank You For Visiting My Blog
This post was a recipe for Cilantro Lime Chicken Skewers which are paleo, gluten free and dairy free. If you enjoyed this recipe, please consider checking out my other recipes! Also, if you make these skewers, leave a comment below letting me know how you like them. Thank you so much for visiting my blog today and I hope you have a really great day!