These vegan gluten free cookies stuffed with a homemade Nutella spread are beyond AMAZING! They’re ultra gooey on the inside with the perfect amount of the chocolate hazelnut flavor. The cookies are thick and fairly large but a soft, chewy texture that I’m sure you’re going to love. The cookie base is made out of almond flour with flax eggs and NO REFINED SUGAR so you may want to enjoy one for breakfast or a kind of healthy snack too:)!
Cookies Vegan Gluten Free
These cookies are great for many diets and lifestyles as they’re vegan, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, egg free, soy free and refined sugar free.
More Vegan + Gluten Free Recipes?
If you’re interested in more vegan and gluten free recipes, then check out my Easy Thai Curry Recipe. As well as my Butternut Squash Soup with Candied Pumpkin Seeds and The Best Granola Clusters Ever. And finally my Apple Healthy Oatmeal Breakfast with Homemade Caramel Sauce is another great recipe.
Homemade Nutella Instructions:
If you want to stuff your cookies with the homemade Nutella, you will need to prepare Nutella the night before so you can freeze 12 portions for the cookies.
- First, you’re going to roast your hazelnuts. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, add your hazelnuts to a baking sheet and place in the oven to roast for 10-15 minutes stirring once throughout time. When hazelnuts are fragrant and the shell on the outside has turned a darker brown color then remove them from the oven and allow to cool.
- When hazelnuts have cooled enough that you can touch them without burning, you will shell them. The easiest way to do this is transferring hazelnuts to a clean dish towel that you lay out on your counter and placing a second dish towel on top. Now rub the hazelnuts on the inside of both dish towels until most of the skins have come off the nuts. Once shelled, you can transfer hazelnuts to a food processor and blend on high until you have a smooth nut butter. Every few minutes you can use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides in order to make the best, smooth consistency.
- Now add blended coconut sugar, cocoa powder, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, sea salt and blend until well combined and smooth.
- When it is smooth you’re going to add in tapioca starch and blend to thicken slightly. After you’ve made the Nutella, add 1 teaspoon of Nutella to 12 separate portions in a small mold tray or ice cube tray. You want a size that will fit inside a medium-large cookie. Then place mold in the freezer to freeze overnight. The rest of the Nutella can be kept in the fridge and used however you like.
Vegan Gluten Free Cookies Instructions:
- First prepare your flax eggs by mixing 2 Tablespoons ground flax with 6 Tablespoons of water. Set aside the flax egg mixture for a few minutes while it thickens. In a large mixing bowl, combine blanched almond flour, baking soda and sea salt. In a separate large mixing bowl add coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Using a whisk or a hand mixer mix these ingredients until smooth, then add in your flax eggs and mix again.
- Add dry cookie dough ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until almost fully incorporated before adding in chocolate chips.
- Add in chocolate chips and stir these in to incorporate them evenly throughout dough. Then across 2 baking trays line with unbleached parchment paper, divide dough into 12 even balls.
- Remove Nutella molds from the freezer and quickly (as it’s much easier to work with when they are completely frozen). Open each cookie dough ball and place frozen Nutella shape inside, then wrap cookie dough around the frozen Nutella shape so it’s completely covered. Repeat this process with each cookie until each have been stuffed with your homemade Nutella. After stuffing cookies, gently press down on each cookie dough ball to flatten slightly before baking.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
Vegan Gluten Free Cookies (Homemade Nutella Stuffed)
Yeild: 12 cookies and lots of extra Nutella
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (blend in a blender to create a more fine powder)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 flax eggs (or substitute regular eggs)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (softened slightly)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or substitute honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Please read through all the instructions before starting. You’ll need to make homemade Nutella the night before so it has time to freeze in molds overnight.
- To make Nutella, you are going to first roast your hazelnuts. Add your hazelnuts on a baking tray to a 350 degree preheated oven and roast for 10-15 minutes or until fragrant. Make sure to check them to avoid burning. Remove from oven and allow them to cool so you can touch them.
- Now, you need to remove the shells of the hazelnuts. It’s easier to lay them across a clean dish towel and place another clean dish towel on top. Rub the nuts in between the two towels in order to remove most of the shells then, transfer shelled hazelnuts to a food processor. Blend on high (taking a break every few minutes to scrape down the sides) until you have a very smooth nut butter. This can take 10 minutes or so but keep blending!
- When you have a smooth nut butter, add in blended coconut sugar, cocoa powder, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract sea salt and blend until smooth. Now, add in tapioca starch and blend again to thicken slightly.
- To stuff your cookies with the Nutella, you need to freeze in small portions. To create these small portions add 1 teaspoon of Nutella to 12 small molds or an ice cube tray. These molds can be for candy, ice, etc as long as the result will fit inside a medium cookie. Then freeze Nutella overnight before making cookies.
**Note this recipe makes a lot of extra Nutella. So place the remaining in the fridge to use on toast, desserts, oatmeal, etc.
- Prepare flax eggs by stirring 2 Tablespoons ground flax seed with 6 Tablespoons water and set aside while you prepare other ingredients. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking trays with parchment paper (I like unbleached) to set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl add almond flour, baking soda and sea salt and stir to combine. To another large mixing bowl add coconut sugar, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and beat with a hand mixer until smooth. Then, add in your flax eggs and mix again until all ingredients are well combined.
- Now, transfer dry ingredients to the bowl with wet ingredients and stir until almost fully combined. Add in chocolate chips and stir again to finish mixing. Divide cookie dough into 12 balls and place evenly across lined baking trays.
- (You’ll need to work with the Nutella when it’s completely frozen so work quickly) Remove frozen Nutella pieces from your freezer and IMMEDIATELY place inside cookie dough balls. I split the dough in half and place the frozen Nutella piece on top of one layer then cover with the other layer. Wrap the cookie dough around the Nutella completely so it will stay inside. Repeat this stuffing process for each cookie.
- Before placing trays in the oven, use your hand to gently press down on each cookie to flatten slightly. Now, place in the oven and bake cookies for 15 minutes or until slightly golden on the edges.
Want More Healthy Dessert Recipes?
If you’re interested in more healthy desserts check out my Super Fudgy Vegan Brownies (Gluten Free + Flourless). As well as my Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Bars (Vegan + Gluten Free) and my Paleo Orange Cranberry Cookies (Vegan + Gluten Free).
Thank You For Visiting
Thank you so much for visiting my blog today! I hope you enjoy this recipe for Vegan Gluten Free Cookies Stuffed with Homemade Nutella. Feel free to check out my other recipes and leave a comment letting me know how you liked these cookies!