These Grain-Free Breakfast Tacos are made with baked potato bites, scrambled eggs and freshly chopped salsa on grain-free tortillas. This recipe is healthy and so delicious that you’ll want to make it every week! Besides being wholesome and satisfying, these breakfast tacos are vegetarian, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, soy-free and refined sugar-free.
There are also easy changes you can make to make this paleo or vegan. Look at recipe adaptations down below!
Quick and Nourishing Meal
The ingredients here are fairly simple to prepare so a great option for beginners in the kitchen. Feel free to take out whatever you don’t want or add in extras you enjoy. You could always use pre-made salsa instead to save some time or sub any left over grain or vegetable you have in the fridge in place of freshly baked potatoes.
The Ingredients I Used
These are my favorite grain-free tortillas. They are fairly small, so they’re perfect for tacos, and I have been able to find them at all my local grocery stores.
Pasture-raised eggs are my favorite but organic is another good option in order to avoid GMOs. If you are interested in the difference between eggs labels here is some more information. Also, you may be able to find a local farmer that sells pasture-raised eggs at a cheaper price!
Avocado oil is what I usually use when cooking at a higher heat and that’s because it has a high smoking point. This is the brand I like best.
Grain-Free tortillas: I used grain-free but you can use whatever tortillas you prefer.
Potatoes: To make this recipe paleo, you can sub cauliflower rice or another cooked vegetable. If you prefer sweet potatoes then, you can use those in place of regular potatoes and cook them the same way.
I also have recipes for baked sweet potato fries if you enjoy sweet potatoes.
Pasture raised eggs: To make this recipe vegan, simply omit the scrambled eggs. Alternatively, you can substitute a tofu scramble, chickpeas, black beans, lentils, etc.
You can also use cooked chicken or ground beef in place of eggs for a good dinner option.
Salsa: You can change any of the salsa ingredients according to your preference. If you don’t want salsa you could try ranch dressing or guacamole instead.
Avocado oil: I use this for cooking at a higher heat because avocado oil has a high smoking point. You can always use a different neutral oil if you prefer.
Grain-Free Breakfast Tacos (Gluten-Free + Dairy-Free)
- 6-8 grain-free tortillas or tortilla of choice
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups diced potatoes (I used a mix of white and gold)
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of each garlic powder, paprika, black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- juice from 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and chop potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces. Add potatoes to a mixing bowl along with avocado oil, sea salt, garlic powder, paprika and pepper then, mix thoroughly to combine.
- Transfer potatoes to a baking sheet lined with unbleached parchment paper and bake for 30-35 minutes turning once or twice throughout.
- Add a frypan to stovetop on medium heat. Crack eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk to combine egg whites with yolks. When heated, add oil to frypan and spread out to coat the surface well. Then add your eggs, salt and pepper to the pan. Allow to cook through stirring every couple minutes.
- Combine all salsa ingredients in a mixing bowl then, stir to incorporate flavors.
- To a frypan at medium heat, add tortillas to warm up. When they get bubbly or change to a lighter color, flip to heat the other side. Repeat process for every tortilla.
- Plate your tacos by placing a portion of potatoes, scrambled eggs and salsa on every tortilla in the amounts you prefer. This should make 6-8 generous tacos if you use the same tortillas I did.
- I especially enjoy these with fresh squeezed lime juice and/or dairy free ranch.