at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
This healthy oatmeal recipe is the perfect warming breakfast. Topped with sliced banana, peanut butter, candied walnuts and hemp seeds so you can have a delicious bowl with many wonderful nutrients. This recipe is super easy to change and tweak so, you always have endless options. I know you’ll love this oatmeal recipe and make it again again.
This healthy oatmeal breakfast is vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free and refined sugar-free.
If you want more healthy breakfast ideas, check out my Peanut Butter and Jam Oatmeal (Vegan + Gluten-Free). As well as my Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. Finally, my recipe for The Best Granola Clusters (Vegan + Gluten-Free).
Healthy Oatmeal Recipe for Breakfast
When the weather gets cooler in the fall months, I love to switch up my breakfast for a warmer meal. This healthy oatmeal recipe is just a general outline that’s very customizable to whatever you like. Some ideas to change in this recipe for endless options include:
- Switch out the coconut milk for water, almond milk, oat milk or cashew milk.
- Use spices such as pumpkin pie spice, ginger cardamom etc.
- Add fruit toppings such as berries, peaches, pears, apples, etc.
- Top with The Best Granola Clusters, or any granola you enjoy.
- Place chocolate chips or caramel sauce on top.
- Add in a scoop of your favorite protein powder along with a bit more liquid.
- Replace walnuts with pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds or cashews.
Easy Candied Walnuts Instructions
- You can make this in a pan on the stovetop or in the oven.
- Place all ingredients for candied walnuts in a bowl and mix until each piece is fully coated.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper* or to a pan on medium heat.
- Cook for 10-13 minutes and set a timer to turn once halfway throughout cooking time. You should be able to see the sugar coating on the walnuts bubble and caramelize while cooking.
- Set aside to cool completely before serving.
*I always look for unbleached parchment paper for baking. You can find this option at most grocery stores now.
Healthy Oatmeal Recipe with Easy Candied Walnuts (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- heaping 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 Tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- a pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk (light or from a carton)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1-2 Tablespoons natural sweetener (coconut sugar, maple syrup, date sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- a generous pinch nutmeg (optional)
- water to thin as needed
- banana for topping (or another fruit)
- peanut butter for topping (or another nut butter)
- hemp seeds for topping (or another seed/nut)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add walnuts, maple syrup, coconut sugar, cinnamon, sea salt and nutmeg to a bowl. Then, mix until well combined. Transfer ingredients to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread out to allow space in between each piece.
- Roast nuts in the oven for 10-13 minutes turning once halfway throughout cooking time. When finished, remove from oven and allow walnuts to cool completely while you prepare oatmeal.
- Add coconut milk and rolled oats to a pot on medium-high heat. Allow liquid to come to a rolling boil then, reduce heat to simmer. While stirring often, add in sweetener, cinnamon, sea salt, nutmeg and simmer for 4-5 minutes. You can add water to thin out oatmeal to your desired consistency.
- Transfer oatmeal to a bowl and top with candied walnuts and other desired toppings. Some ideas could be peanut butter, sliced banana, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, crushed nuts, chocolate chips, etc.
If you enjoy this Healthy Oatmeal Recipe, check out my Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies for healthy treat or delicious breakfast.