at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
This squash sausage soup reaches a whole new level of flavor with Italian sausage in a partly blended soup that’s perfectly thick and has so many textures and soft veggies! We add a couple spices but the Italian sausage adds so much flavor and really is the star ingredient in this delicious soup. MAKE IT NOW! Please. I know you’ll love it!
Look no further for your new favorite soup! I have an intense love for butternut squash soup, and this might just be my new favorite recipe… That’s saying a lot as it’s my third butternut squash soup recipe on the blog.
Squash sausage soup
This butternut squash sausage soup is grain free, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, soy free and so crave-worthy during the cold months.
More life-changing soup recipes.
- Butternut squash and apple soup (gluten free + vegan).
- Chili recipe without beans (gluten free + dairy free).
- Coconut Thai shrimp soup with rice noodles (gluten free + dairy free).
- Roasted tomato basil soup (gluten free + dairy free).
Is squash sausage soup gluten free?
As long as your sausage and chicken broth don’t have any gluten containing ingredients this soup is completely gluten free! Just make sure to check the ingredients you’re using.
How do you make butternut squash soup?
This butternut squash and sausage soup is fairly simple to make with detailed instructions. It’s a great way to include more veggies and butternut squash in your diet!
How do you cut a butternut squash?
After peeling the squash, cut it in half so you have a flat surface. Lay the flat surface on your cutting board so it doesn’t roll around and cut in parallel lines about 1/2 inch wide. Then, take those cut peices and chop into cube shapes that are about 1/2 inch on each side. When you have your cubed butternut squash, you’re ready to use it in your soup!
Ingredients you need for squash sausage soup.
Avocado oil: To saute the veggies for the soup. Use avocado oil for dairy free but if you can eat dairy then I reccomend using butter or ghee for a little more flavor.
Yellow onion: Necessary for any good soup. Adds amazing texture, flavor and nutrients.
Bell pepper: You can use any color bell pepper you like. You can also add any other veggies you want like celery or carrots. If you don’t have a bell pepper, either leave it out or substitute your choice of veggie.
Garlic: Use more or less according to your preference. I always recommed using freshly chopped garlic which will give you the best flavor and all the healthy benefits!
Ground Italian sausage: I love finding sausage from my local farmer! Use mild or spicy to match your heat preference.
Dried thyme and rosemary: A couple spices to add a touch more flavor to the soup.
Butternut squash: We use 3 pounds in this recipe so any medium-sized squash should be enough. Peel and chop into 1/2 inch cubes.
Chicken broth: Just make sure there is no gluten in your chicken broth if you need it to be gluten free!
Sea salt: I add around 3/4 teaspoon sea salt when I use low-sodium chicken broth in the soup. Add what you like to taste.
Coconut milk: We’re using full fat coconut milk to add a bit of creaminess without any dairy. Feel free to use heavy cream instead!
Spinach: A large handful of spinach will wilt into the soup adding more color and texture. Feel free to use frozen spinach or chopped up kale instead!
Equipment I use to make this soup:
- I have been LOVING these silicone cutting boards lately! I bought them to switch away from cutting on plastic all the time. You always need a good cutting board when chopping up vegetables.
- This is my favorite stainless steel stockpot I use to make all my soups and stews. It’s a try-ply clad stainless steel that feels like it will outlive me! And it’s so much more affordable than any other high quality stainless steel pot I was looking at!
Butternut Squash Sausage Soup Recipe:
Butternut Squash Sausage Soup
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil (divided) (or sub butter)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 pounds butternut squash (peeled and chopped into ½ inch cubes)
- 5 cups chicken broth (use low sodium or adjust sea salt in recipe)
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt (or salt to taste)
- ¼ cup coconut milk (full fat from a can)
- a large handful spinach
- Place a large stockpot on medium heat.
- Add 1 Tablespoon oil in the pot along with diced onion, bell pepper and minced garlic. Cook until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant (around 5 minutes).
- Add Italian sausage, thyme and rosemary to the pot and use a large spoon to break up the sausage into small peices. When the meat is cooked through and not longer pink, transfer the entire mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 Tablespoon oil to the pot and your chopped butternut squash and brown the squash for 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add your chicken broth the pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and allow to simmer covered for 10-15 minutes or until squash is soft.
- Remove about half of your cooked squash peices and set aside in a bowl. Use an immersion blender to blend the squash and chicken stock in the pot completely smooth.
- Return the set aside squash and sausage + onion mixture to the pot. Add coconut milk and spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes so the spinach can wilt into the soup.
- Serve alone or with bread. Feel free to top soup bowls with cheese or a drizzle of coconut milk.
Leave a comment below
If you like this recipe for squash sausage soup, please consider leaving a comment below! It means so much to me when you support my blog and that way I can continue providing free recipes and content.
I hope you enjoy your day and thanks for stopping by!