at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
This healthy chocolate banana bread recipe doesn’t taste healthy at all! It’s moist and fluffy with a rich chocolate flavor that will blow your mind. The flours used here are gluten-free and grain-free but create an amazing bread texture that won’t disappoint, I promise! My family and I absolutely love this chocolate banana bread and I hope you do too!
This healthy recipe is not only delicious, but it’s also paleo, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, soy-free and refined sugar-free. So this dessert recipe is perfect for many different diets and lifestyles.
More Healthy Dessert Recipes?
If you enjoy this recipe, check out my other healthy desserts such as my Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies (Vegan + Gluten-Free). As well as my recipe for Healthy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread (Paleo + Gluten-Free). And finally, my Paleo Orange Cranberry Cookies (Vegan + Gluten-Free).
Blanched almond flour: It works well as a grain-free flour in this recipe. It does need to be blanched in order to achieve the desired texture.
Tapioca flour: This is a starch made from a root, so it’s completely grain-free but helps us create a texture that mimics gluten in other recipes. You can substitute other starches but they may change the texture of the bread. Some options are arrowroot starch or corn starch (I always choose organic or non-GMO verified corn starch).
Cocoa powder or cocao powder: These ingredients are interchangeable in this recipe. The difference is that cocao powder will have a stronger flavor that has a slight bitterness to it, while cocoa powder is more subtle. You can use whichever one you prefer!
Mashed ripe banana: It’s important you use very ripe bananas as they’ll be much sweeter in the baked bread. If you want to swap these out, you could try applesauce or pumpkin puree instead for a similar texture, though it will change the overall flavor of the bread.
Melted and cooled coconut oil: It’s very important that you melt your coconut oil AND let it cool to room temperature. If you don’t let it cool, it will solidify when adding it to the wet ingredients. You can use avocado oil instead it you want to skip the melting step.
Eggs: I make sure my eggs are room temperature to avoid solidifying the coconut oil. I don’t recommend using an egg replacement in this recipe.
Coconut sugar: This unrefined sweetener has a delicious caramel taste similar to brown sugar. You can use brown sugar in it’s place if you prefer.
Maple Syrup: Again this is another ingredient to use at room temperature. I take mine out of the fridge when I take out the eggs so they both have a little time to warm up.
Chocolate Banana Bread Easy Recipe Instructions:
- Mix almond flour, tapioca flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate mixing bowl mix mashed banana, melted and cooled coconut oil, room temperature eggs, vanilla extract, coconut sugar and room temperature maple syrup.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until almost fully combined, then add chocolate chunks and finish mixing. Avoid overmixing as it will stop the rising agents from working properly.
- Transfer mixture to a large loaf pan lined with parchment paper and add more chocolate chunks on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 50-55 minutes or until done. To check, insert a fork in the middle and if it comes out clean, its finished baking.
Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread (Paleo + Gluten-Free)
Yield: one large loaf
- 1 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder or cocao powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (paleo if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted and cooled at room temp)
- 4 eggs (room temp)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup coconut sugar (I used 1/4 cup but you can add a bit more)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (room temp)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks + more for on top
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large loaf pan with parchment paper, then set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add blanched almond flour, tapioca flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and mix to combine.
- Melt coconut oil and allow it to cool to room temperature. Make sure your eggs and maple syrup are also room temperature so they don’t solidify coconut oil when combined.
- To a separate mixing bowl, add mashed banana, melted and cooled coconut oil, eggs, vanilla extract, coconut sugar and maple syrup. Stir the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredient mixture into the dry ingredients and mix almost all the way. When it is almost fully mixed add in chocolate chunks and finish stirring, Avoid overmixing as it will affect how your bread rises.
- Transfer mixture to the lined loaf pan and sprinkle some more chocolate chunks on top if desired.
- Place it in the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a fork inserted comes out completely clean.
- Allow chocolate banana bread to cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread Dessert
This post is a recipe for delicious, healthy chocolate banana bread. If you’re interested in more healthy dessert recipes, check out my Healthy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread (Paleo + Gluten-Free). As well as my Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies (Vegan + Gluten-Free). And finally, my Healthy Date Candy Bars (Vegan + Paleo).
I hope you enjoy this recipe for healthy chocolate banana bread! Leave a comment if you try this recipe!