at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
This healthy beef and broccoli recipe is a game changer for family dinner! It’s perfectly addicting and satisfying just like your favorite take-out version, but without the sodium dump that can leave some with an upset stomach!
I’ve always loved the Asian-American restaurants that serve all the super salty meals that all have delicious flavor along with some MSG. Of course, those take-out meals make me feel terrible now, but I sometimes want a similar tasting meal that I can tolerate and leaves me feeling good while satisfying that craving. This recipe for homemade beef and broccoli reminds me of my childhood and it only uses whole food ingredients that you can feel good about. I hope you love this recipe and it can be a staple as well as a favorilte for the whole family!
Beef and Broccoli
This recipe for beef and broccoli is not only delicious and easy to prepare. It’s also gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free and refined sugar free.
More Healthy Dinner Recipes
If you’re on the lookout for more healthy dinner recipes, these are some of my absolute favorites!
- Healthy Beef Chili Recipe without Beans.
- Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe (Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
- Healthy Fish Tacos with Tzatziki Sauce (Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
- Honey Lime Chicken Marinade (Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
Is Beef and Broccoli Healthy?
Normally, the take-out version of beef and broccoli has so much added salt, sugar and MSG. This easy recipe you can make at home uses honey, coconut aminos and some sea salt to create a flavorful dish that’s healthier.
Is Beef and Broccoli Gluten Free?
Most beef and broccoli you can buy does contain gluten in the form of MSG, soy sauce or added wheat gluten. This recipe is completely gluten free because we mimic the same flavor of soy sauce with coconut aminos and it has no gluten containing ingredients!
Does Beef and Broccoli Contain Soy?
Beef and broccoli dinners from stores and restaurants do contain soy sauce or tamari in the sauce. Although you can substitute soy sauce in this recipe, we are using coconut aminos instead, which has a similar flavor and it contains no soy!
Beef and Broccoli Recipe Ingredients:
Beef Broth: This is the base for our flavorful sauce. I love using bone broth to add extra nutrients but you can use any broth you have on hand. Just make sure what you’re using is gluten free if you need that!
Coconut aminos: This sauce tastes very similar to soy sauce but it’s made from coconut nectar. If you are okay using soy, then you can substitute tamari or an organic soy sauce (not gluten-free).
Sesame oil: This oil brings that classic flavor in Asian dishes. If you prefer to skip the seed oils, you can substitute avocado oil.
Tapioca starch: This starch works to thicken the sauce.
Honey: An unrefined sweetener that works well in this marinade. If you like, you can substitute organic cane sugar or leave it out to lower the sugar amount.
Onion Powder: Spice that brings more flavor to the meat without any extra chopping.
Garlic cloves: I prefer fresh garlic for many reasons but if you want to use garlic powder instead, use 1 teaspoon.
Sea salt: Feel free to adjust the amount up or down to your liking.
Fresh ginger: I love using fresh ginger for the anti-inflamatory benefits and amazing flavor. Feel free to substitute 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger powder.
Beef chuck roast: This is the cut of meat I used but you can use beef round or any tender cut of beef you want.
Broccoli: Measure the broccoli after cutting it into florets. This recipe calls for a lot of broccoli so feel free to use less if you like.
Avocado oil: A neutral oil that has a high smoke point and is perfect for cooking.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Using a tender cut of beef is how we get away with only marinading for a few minutes. There’s no need to marinade overnight for this recipe.
- I love using white rice or noodles with this beef and broccoli. I recommend white rice noodles or brown rice noodles to keep this gluten free.
- I specify in the recipe to cook the broccoli until tender. Avoid overcooking as it can turn mushy but the level of crispness depends on your personal preference.
- I don’t recommend changing this recipe in ways other than what I have mentioned. If you’re looking for a recipe that uses a slow cooker or ground beef instead, there are many recipes online that would work better for those options.
Equipment for this Recipe
This simple, one pan recipe is a great dinner option for the home chefs that don’t enjoy cleaning dishes! While I’m pretty sure we all fit into that category, I do have some favorite staples that I use almost daily in my kitchen.
- This ceramic coated 5 quart saute pan is perfect for this recipe and any others that require a little extra room for larger meals.
- I prefer to avoid plastics in my cooking equipment and that includes my mixing bowls. My favorite options are glass bowl with measurements on the side of the bowl, as well as stainless steel mixing bowls.
Beef and Broccoli Healthy Recipe:
Beef and Broccoli
- ½ cup beef broth (substitute chicken broth or vegetable broth)
- ¼ cup coconut aminos (or sub organic soy sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon grated ginger
- 1.5 pound beef chuck roast (or tender cut of beef)
- 6 cups broccoli (cut into florets)
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil (sub another neutral oil)
- Slice your beef into thin strips.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade and stir in the sliced beef strips. Let the meat marinade for a few minutes while you prepare the broccoli.
- To a pan on medium heat, add avocado oil and broccoli florets. Cook stirring occasionally for 5-10 minutes until tender. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add your beef and all the marinade to the pan and cook until the meat turns brown. Make sure to turn and cook every side while being mindful to not overcook.
- When the beef is cooked, add the broccoli back in the pan and stir together. When the sauce has thickened and everything is cooked to your liking, remove from heat.
- Serve beef and broccoli over rice or noodles.
More Gluten Free Dinner Recipes
For some more amazing gluten free dinner recipes, check out these ones!
- Pesto Chicken Pasta Recipe (Gluten Free + Dairy Free Option).
- Healthy Baked Crispy Potatoes (Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
- Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe (Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
Please Leave a Comment
This post is a recipe for homemade beef and broccoli made with whole food ingredients. It’s gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free and refined sugar free. If you enjoy this recipe, please leave a comment below letting me know what you think! It helps to support my blog when you reacte with the post, so I appreciate every comment and like! Please, let me know if you have any questions, as well! I hope you have an amazing day!