at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
These fish tacos are a family favorite for dinner and they’re such a fun but healthy twist on the classic fish stick with ranch sauce. We’re using cod in this recipe and make an easy breading using almond flour, shredded coconut and some spices that’s so simple and delicious! Tzatziki sauce is traditionally made with Greek yogurt but, to make this sauce dairy free, we make an easy replacement using soaked cashews. The sauce is tangy and goes so perfectly with the fish in these tacos along with any other toppings you want! I hope you enjoy this healthy dinner recipe!
Healthy Fish Tacos
This recipe for fish tacos and tzatziki sauce is not only yummy and flavorful! It’s is completely grain free, gluten free, dairy free, soy free and refined sugar free.
Want More Healthy Dinner Recipes?
If you want to see more healthy dinner recipes, check out my Healthy Chicken and Veggies Over Rice. In addition to my Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup and my Grilled Chicken Strawberry Salad with Honey Lime Dressing.
Also, feel free to check out the lunch/dinner category of my menu for even more healthy recipes!
Fish Tacos Ingredients:
Cod: This fish is super mild and it’s my favorite to use for fish tacos. Use fresh cod or let it defrost completely if frozen.
Eggs: This is what helps the breading stick to the fish so, I wouldn’t recommend skipping this step!
Almond flour: This grain free flour adds a nice taste and texture without any gluten or grains. Although I haven’t tried these, you could try substituting another flour in it’s place such as unbleached all-purpose or cassava flour for gluten-free.
Shredded coconut: I love the light flavor this adds to the fish along with a great crispy texture.
Onion, garlic and paprika: This mixture of seasonings give a really nice flavor but, you can also try using substituting different ones or removing them altogether if you prefer.
Sea salt: A must for any good fish recipe.
Avocado oil spray: The spray works well to coat the top of the fish. If you don’t have avocado oil then, olive oil spray should work well instead.
Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients:
Raw unsalted cashews: This is the base of the creamy sauce. The process of soaking or boiling raw cashews before blending them creates the perfect cream that will replace the dairy commonly used in tzatziki.
Long English cucumber: You’ll grate the cucumber and then place it inside a towel and squeeze out some of the juice. If you squeeze it so it’s completely dry, you’ll have a very thick sauce. If you squeeze just a little of the juice out then you’ll have a little thinner sauce so, it depends on your preference.
Water and veggie broth: Blending these liquids with the cashews creates the creamy base.
Garlic: You can use fresh or garlic powder in this case!
Lemon juice: Adds a bit of acidity that works well over your fish.
Sea salt: You can adjust this according to your preference.
Mustard: Contributes to the flavor.
Dried dill: The flavor of dill complements fish so well. You can try using fresh instead but it may taste a little different.
Fish Tacos with Sauce Instructions:
- First line a baking tray with parchment paper and generously spray with avocado oil. Cut fish fillet into sticks and pat dry with paper towel. Dip fish piece into whisked eggs then, in the almond flour and spice mixture and place it on your baking tray (this one is similar to the one I use).
- Repeat with every piece of fish and lay them across baking tray. Spray the top of all fish pieces with avocado oil to help the top get really crispy while baking.
- Grate cucumber, place in a towel and squeeze some water out. Set the cucumber aside. Add soaked and drained cashews to your blender along with water, broth, garlic clove, lemon juice, sea salt and mustard. Blend until creamy and then, transfer to a bowl along with grated cucumber and dill.
- Stir to combine all ingredients and store in the fridge.
Healthy Fish Tacos Recipe (Gluten Free + Dairy Free)
Keyword: Healthy Fish Tacos
Author: Adrianne from Bananasaboutlife.com
Dairy Free Tzatziki Sauce:
- 3/4 cup raw unsalted cashews (soaked overnight or boiled for 10 minutes)
- 1/2 long English cucumber
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup veggie broth or chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 large cod fillet (cut into thick strips)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- avocado oil spray
Dairy Free Tzatziki:
- Soak cashews in water overnight or boil in water for 10 minutes to soften (this step is important to create that creamy base). After cashews have been soaked and grown in size, drain off water.
- Grate your cucumber and place on top of a clean towel. Using the towel, squeeze a lot of the extra juice out of your grated cucumber then set aside.
- To a blender add soaked cashews, water, broth, garlic clove, lemon juice, sea salt and mustard. Blend until smooth and creamy then, transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in dried dill and grated cucumber and store in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking tray with unbleached parchment paper and generously spray with avocado oil.
- Cut your cod fillet into thick strips (like fish sticks you’d get at the store) and pat them dry with a paper towel. Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk. In a separate bowl combine almond flour, shredded coconut, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and sea salt.
- Take a strip of fish and dip in egg (enough to completely cover each side). Then, dip in the almond flour and coconut bowl (to completely cover each side) and now place it on lined baking tray. Repeat this process for each fish strip until all are breaded and on your baking tray. Spray generously with avocado oil to help the tops crisp and place in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the fish is fully cooked.
- When your fish is fully cooked through the center, turn the oven up to high broil and cook for another 1-3 minutes or until the top turns a golden brown color.
- Serve fish on your choice of tortillas (grain free if needed) and whatever toppings you like. I use purple cabbage, carrots, fresh cilantro and then top with the dairy free tzatziki.
More Gluten Free and Dairy Free Recipes?
If you’re interested in more gluten free and dairy free recipes then, feel free to check out my Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Cookies. As well as my Grain Free Breakfast Tacos and these delicious Gluten Free Banana Nut Muffins. You can also look through the tags at the bottom of this post to find more gluten free and dairy free recipes!
Thank You For Visiting!
This post is a recipe for healthy fish tacos with dairy-free tzatziki sauce. If you enjoy this recipe then, please consider taking a look at my other posts as well! If you make these fish tacos, take a moment and leave a comment letting me know how you like them! As always, thank you for visiting my blog and have a great day.