This recipe for healthy chicken and veggies is the perfect dinner option for when you want something quick, simple and healthy. This is a great recipe to customize in any way you like too! Try adding different homemade or store bought sauces. You can also put the chicken and veggies over different grains like white rice, quinoa or farro. Feel free to add these chicken and veggies to a tortilla or taco shell and enjoy them that way! With so many possibilities, this simple dinner recipe is a great option for endless healthy dinners where no two are the same! I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Chicken and Veggies
This healthy chicken and veggies dinner is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free and refined sugar free.
Easy and Healthy Dinner Ideas
If you’re looking for even more healthy and easy dinner recipes, feel free to check out my Healthy Shrimp Fried Rice (Gluten Free + Dairy Free). Along with my Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe (Gluten Free + Dairy Free) and my Stir Fry Orange Chicken (Gluten Free + Dairy Free). And finally, my Easy Squash Sheet Pan Bake (Grain Free + Dairy Free).
Chicken and Veggies Recipe Ingredients:
Avocado oil: This is a great neutral oil to use for cooking as it has a higher smoke point than something like olive oil. You can of course substitute another oil you prefer.
Fresh lemon juice and zest: Fresh lemon is definitely better in this case as it will bring more flavor. If you want to skip the zest, then you can use bottled lemon juice instead.
Garlic: This adds a good flavor to both the chicken and vegetables but, you can substitute 1 teaspoon of garlic powder if you want.
Dried oregano: A dried herb to bring some flavor. You can replace dried oregano with fresh oregano or try another fresh/dried herb you enjoy.
Sea salt: Adjust more or less according to your preference.
Paprika powder: Dried spice that brings a lovely color and light flavor.
Chicken breast: You can substitute another protein like chicken thighs, shrimp, cod, etc.
Bell Peppers: I used one red and one green bell pepper in this case. You can use any colors you like or try substituting other veggies you enjoy such as; onions, yellow squash, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
Zucchini: You can also replace this vegetable with another one you prefer!
Brown jasmine rice: If you’d like to use another grain instead you can but, you may need to adjust the liquid amount and cooking time. Use the package instructions as a guide for this.
Chicken bone broth: I love to use chicken bone broth as the liquid for cooking rice as it adds a delicious flavor and more nutrients. If you prefer, you can use water in it’s place or even half water and half chicken broth.
Easy Dinner Recipe Instructions:
- First, in a large bowl, combine ingredients for your marinade and transfer half the marinade to another large bowl. Cut chicken breast into large bites and add to one bowl and add cut veggies to the other. Stir both the veggies and the chicken to coat with the marinade and place them in the fridge until you’re ready to cook. You can prepare these the night before and wait to cook the next day for the best flavor.
- Rinse your rice with water and add to a pot on high heat along with chicken bone broth. Bring liquid to a boil then, reduce heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 40 minutes.
- Add half your marinated chicken to a large sauté pan on medium-high heat (I used this pan from Green Pan). Turn each piece as needed until cooked through and slightly golden. Cooking the chicken in two batches will create a more crispy bite instead of rubbery, but you can cook in one batch if you prefer.
- You’ll cook the veggies in two batches as well so, add half the veggies to your pan and turn as needed. When veggies are soft with some crispy edges, transfer to a plate and repeat the cooking process with the remaining vegetables. When they are cooked completely, you can plate rice with the cooked chicken and vegetables on top with lots of guacamole or whatever toppings you like!
Healthy Chicken and Veggies Over Rice – Easy Dinner Recipe
Keyword: Chicken and veggies
Author: Adrianne from bananasaboutlife.com
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1.5 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1.5 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
Chicken and Veggies:
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast
- 2 medium bell peppers of any color (I used one red and one green)
- 1 medium zucchini (you can also use 2 small ones)
- 1 cup brown jasmine rice
- 2 cups chicken bone broth (or substitute water if you prefer)
- Combine ingredients for the marinade and divide in half among two large bowls. Cut chicken into similar size bites, add to one bowl with the marinade and place in the fridge. Chop bell peppers into 1.5 inch pieces and zucchini into 1 centimeter thick coins. Transfer chopped veggies to the bowl with marinade and place in the fridge until you’re ready to cook. (For more flavor, a longer marinade is best. Prepare the night before and allow chicken and veggies to marinade overnight)
- Rinse rice and add to a pot with chicken bone broth on high heat. When the liquid comes to a rolling boil, cover with a lid and reduce heat to a low simmer. Allow rice to cook for 40 minutes then remove from heat.
- To a large frypan on medium-high heat, add half the chicken to your heated pan, turning on each side until cooked through. Transfer cooked meat to a plate and repeat to cook the rest of your chicken. (Cooking in two batches will bring a more crispy bite).
- After cooking all the chicken, add half your veggies to frypan and cook until soft with some crispy edges. Transfer cooked vegetables to a plate and cook the remaining in the same way until they are all cooked.
- Serve chicken and vegetables over rice with any extra toppings you like. You can use freshly chopped herbs, lots of guacamole, homemade or premade sauces, avocado slices, fresh lemon juice., etc
Want More Healthy Dinner Ideas?
If you want to see more healthy dinner ideas, check out my Cilantro Lime Chicken Skewers (Gluten Free + Dairy Free). As well as my Grilled Chicken Strawberry Salad with Honey Lime Dressing and my Teriyaki Salmon with Coconut Rice. And finally, my Easy Thai Curry Recipe (Vegan + Dairy Free) is amazing so check it out!
Thank You For Visiting
This post was a recipe for healthy chicken and veggies over rice and it’s completely gluten free and dairy free. If you enjoyed this post, please consider looking through my other recipes! I would love to hear if you made this dinner and how you like it so, leave a comment below! Thank you for supporting my blog by visiting and I hope you have a great day!