These grilled teriyaki chicken skewers are perfect for any holiday barbeque, summer party or warm day at home! They’re so fun, flavorful and look delicious on your family’s table. These are loaded with veggies and chicken breast that are all marinated in a light but tasty teriyaki sauce everyone is sure to enjoy. I know skewers are super important for the summer months when it’s prime grilling time and these skewers do not disappoint any high expectations! Feel free to add some pineapple if you want to make it Hawaiian style and enjoy over rice, alone or dipped in guacamole or another dipping sauce you like!
This recipe for chicken skewers is not only delicious and healthy, but they’re also paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, soy free, nut free and refined sugar free.
More Summer Dinner Recipes
For summer dinners, I love to eat a lot of veggies and grilling is always fun for those warm days! Here are some great dinner recipes to check out for those warmer months.
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Skewers (Paleo + Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
- Grilled Chicken Strawberry Salad with Honey Lime Dressing.
- Paleo Asian Salad with Honey Ginger Dressing (Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
Teriyaki Skewers Ingredients:
Chicken breast: I love chicken breast for these skewers as you can cut the pieces to the perfect size. You can change up the protein though if you want. Shrimp, chicken thighs or tofu could be good but just be aware I haven’t tried any of these options.
Onion: I used a yellow onion but you can use any color onion or try a different vegetable in it’s place.
Bell peppers: Use any color bell peppers or a mixture if you like. You can also substitute something like zucchini or pineapple which would both be amazing!
Baby bella mushrooms: These are the smaller mushrooms similar to portabella that have a great flavor. You can use any small mushrooms you enjoy or have on hand.
Oil: I used avocado oil for this recipe but, you can replace that with any neutral oil you prefer. Olive oil, for example, would be great!
Coconut aminos: This is a dark and flavorful sauce that tastes very similar to soy sauce. You can definitely substitute soy sauce or tamari in it’s place but make sure to get gluten-free if needed.
Honey: This adds some yummy sweetness to the marinade that you won’t want to skip!
Garlic powder: This ingredient adds some extra flavor and of course, you can crush some fresh garlic and use that instead.
Sea salt: You can adjust the amount of sea salt to your needs and preference.
Onion powder: This adds more depth of flavor to the marinade. You can adjust this ingredient, switch it for another spice you enjoy or leave it out.
Chicken Skewers Recipe Tips:
- Cutting your chicken into 1.5 inch pieces helps them to stay juicy when grilling compared to smaller pieces.
- Chop your veggies into similar size pieces as best you can to help you avoid burning some pieces.
- Add to large mixing bowls that have lids to cover and keep in the fridge while the skewer pieces marinade. If your bowls don’t have lids cover with plastic wrap.
- It’s best to let the chicken and veggies marinade overnight for the best flavor. You can do the chopping and start marinating the night before, then grill the next day.
- When making the skewers, don’t put the pieces too tightly together so that everything is able cook evenly on the grill.
- This time I used bamboo skewers that are one time use but, if you make skewers often, you can find stainless steel skewers. The stainless steel ones are perfect to wash and reuse again and again.
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers Recipe (Gluten Free + Dairy Free)
Keyword: Chicken skewers
Author: Adrianne from Bananasaboutlife.com
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast
- 1 large onion (I used a yellow onion)
- 2 bell peppers (I used red and yellow but any colors work)
- 8-10 baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup oil (avocado or olive oil)
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Start by cutting your chicken breast and veggies into about 1.5 inch pieces. Place them all in two large bowls that will fit in the fridge.
- In a separate smaller bowl, add the oil, coconut aminos, honey, garlic powder, sea salt and onion powder. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined and pour about half of the marinade into each bowl over the chopped chicken and veggies. Now, stir to coat everything evenly in the teriyaki marinade. Cover both bowls and place in the fridge to marinade for at least 6 hours or overnight (it’s best to have everything chopped and marinating the night before you want grill as that will bring the best flavor).
- Before you’re ready to grill, create your skewers by stabbing each piece of food and sliding it to the other end of the skewer. You can do this in whatever order you like but I recommend not putting the pieces to tight together to make sure your chicken cooks through all the way.
- Grill until the chicken pieces are cooked through completely.
More Healthy Dinner Recipes
For even more healthy dinner recipes that everyone are sure to enjoy, check out some of these ones!
- Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe (Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
- Healthy Chicken and Veggies Over Rice (Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
- Stir Fry Orange Chicken (Gluten Free + Dairy Free).
Thank You For Stopping By
This post is a recipe for chicken teriyaki skewers that are grain free, gluten free and dairy free. I hope you enjoyed this post and if you did, please feel free to check out the other recipes on my blog! It means so much to have your support so, if you’re willing, leave a comment below letting me know how you like this recipe. Thank you for stopping by today and have an amazing day!